Elon Musk says Twitter deal could move ahead with ‘bot’ info

The billionaire and CEO of Tesla has been trying to get out of an agreement he made in April to buy the social media company. Last month, Twitter sued him to force him to go through with the deal.

Elon Musk said on Saturday that his $44 billion plan to buy Twitter should go forward if the company can confirm some details about how it figures out if user accounts are run by real people or “spam bots.”
The billionaire and CEO of Tesla has been trying to get out of an agreement he made in April to buy the social media company. Last month, Twitter sued him to force him to go through with the deal. Musk sued Twitter back, saying that it lied to his team about how many users it really had and did other things that he said were fraud and broke the contract.
A trial is set for October in a Delaware court, and both sides are getting ready for it.
Musk tweeted early Saturday morning, “The deal should go forward on the original terms if Twitter just tells us how they pick 100 accounts at random and how they know they’re real.” “However, it shouldn’t happen if it turns out that their SEC filings are materially false.”

Saturday, Twitter refused to say anything. The company has told the Securities and Exchange Commission more than once that it thinks less than 5% of user accounts are fake or spam, but that number could be higher. When Musk signed the April merger agreement, he gave up his right to do more research.
Twitter has said in court that Musk is trying to kill the deal on purpose because the market has changed and the deal is no longer in his best interests. In a court document filed Thursday, it said that his counterclaims were made up stories that were “falsified by the facts and common sense.”
“Musk makes up promises that Twitter never made and then tries to use selectively the large amount of confidential information Twitter gave him to make up a breach of these supposed promises,” lawyers for the company wrote.

Scroll to Top